Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bavarian Night - Janelle

Welcome back NICE weather! No more minus 40 for us :)
Tonight we had a new face along for the ride; Julia from Frankfurt, Germany. I joined a website called couchsurfing.org. The premise is; while at home, you host backpackers for free, and while you are travelling, you can "surf" people's couches. So far, I have already hosted 4 people, and have had MANY more requests. Yes...tourists want to come to Calgary in January! I think they must be crazy. Today, while showing Julia around, I found myself saying "In the summer....it's nicer in the summer...at stampede, which is in the summer..." What can I show her within the city that truly captures the heart of Calgary? I think we may hit up Ranchman's tomorrow for some two stepping lessons. Thank you to my lovely running troupe for welcoming Julia with open arms. Jen and I even took her out for a bite to eat afterwards. Now, you may think we're crazy, but we decided to bring her to Wurst. Yes, you heard me right. We brought a German to a German bar. What a way to end one of my last nights in Calgary!
Jen and Julia enjoying some German delights - including my favourite: THE PRETZEL!
Julia and I in front of the Stein Wall. You can rent a locked box to house your own beer stein.
 Also, a big CONGRATULATIONS to Afton on reaching 100% of her fundraising goal! Way to go girl! (Now send some love my way ;)

1 comment:

  1. the spaetzle was deelish! but now I need to sleep it off :S

    ReplyDelete